St. Joseph Medical Center has earned received full accreditation with percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care.St. Joseph undertook a rigorous evaluation and refinement of heart care processes in order to integrate the industry’s best practices into its cardiac care services. To qualify for the PCI designation, a hospital must demonstrate its expertise and commitment to quality patient care by meeting or exceeding a wide set of stringent criteria and have an on-site evaluation from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care.
Heart attacks are the leading cause of death in the United States, with 600,000 people dying annually of heart disease. More than five million Americans visit hospitals each year with chest pain. SCPC’s goal is to significantly reduce the mortality rate of these patients by teaching the public to recognize and react to the early symptoms
- Integrating the Emergency Department with the local emergency medical system
- Assessing, diagnosing and treating patients quickly
- Effectively treating patients with low risk for acute coronary syndrome and no assignable cause for their symptoms
- Continually seeking to improve processes and procedures
- Ensuring the competence and training of Accredited Chest Pain Center personnel
- Maintaining organizational structure and commitment
- Having a functional design that promotes optimal patient care
- Supporting community outreach programs that educate the public to promptly seek medical care if they display symptoms of a possible heart attack.
St. Joseph Medical Center is a 310-bed hospital providing a wide range of acute care and outpatient services from a 24-hour emergency department to state-of-the-art cardiovascular care. St. Joseph has earned the Magnet designation from The American Nurses Credentialing Center for excellence in nursing. Key services include the Carondelet Heart Institute, Women’s Health Institute and Joint and Spine Institute. Consistent with its mission, St. Joseph provides compassionate, quality healthcare with a special concern for the poor. For more information, visit stjosephkc.com.