St. Joseph Medical Center is home to the first nationally-accredited Pulmonary Rehabilitation program in the Greater Kansas City area. Our program combines education and exercise to meet the individual need of people with COPD, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, pulmonary fibrosis, asthma or any chronic lung disease.
For further information, contact us at 816-943-2040
Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program is approximately 8 – 10 weeks, and is determined by the patient’s individual needs and insurance coverage. We meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays for 2 hour sessions, with 3 different time slots to fit your lifestyle. Family members are encouraged to attend the sessions.
Most insurance providers cover Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program with your physician’s approval. For more information on Pulmonary Rehab, call 816-943-2040.
Components of the Program
- An initial evaluation of your cardiopulmonary status, lung function and exercise tolerance.
- An individualized monitored exercise program designed to build strength, energy and endurance.
- Education in chronic lung disease, proper use of medications, nutritional considerations, traveling with supplemental oxygen, and many other topics.
- Discussions about energy conservation techniques for everyday activities and breathing techniques to reduce shortness of breath.
- Support groups to improve coping skills and positive stress management.
Benefits of Pulmonary Rehab
- Reduce shortness of breath with activity
- More energy and stamina
- Recognize changes in health and react appropriately
- More confidence and a better Quality of Life.
- After completion of the program, you have the opportunity to continue your exercise routine under medically trained staff supervision.
Greater Kansas City Pulmonary Fibrosis Support Group
This Support Group meets at St. Joseph Medical Center on the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 4:30 – 6:00 pm in the Community Center. Everyone is welcome to attend. For more information, call 816-943-2040.
Not all pulmonary rehabilitation patients receive prior treatment at St. Joseph, nor are all their physicians affiliated with the medical center. Many pulmonary patients come with their physicians’ blessings because of the quality of our care and convenient location. We will work closely with your physician to tailor the right program for you to ensure you get the best rehabilitative care possible.