Thank you for choosing St. Joseph Medical Center. We want your surgical stay to be as pleasant as possible.
- Parking is available on the south side of the Medical Mall at St. Joseph Medical Center. There is a shuttle service from your car to the medical mall (building B).
- Registration is located at the first door on your right after you enter building B.
- Please bring your list of medications with their names, doses and frequency, your insurance card and your co-pay or deductible, if applicable.
- An appointment to the Pre-Anesthesia Clinic may have been made by your physician prior to your surgical date. If so, follow the registration guidelines as above. Bring your list of medications with their name, dose and frequency. If you have seen your primary care physician in the last six to nine months, please call them and ask to have your lab, chest X-ray and EKG reports faxed to Pre-Admission prior to your appointment. The fax number is 816-943-4865.
The Pre-Anesthesia appointment may last 45 minutes to two hours depending on your history and the type of surgery you are having. This appointment consists of:
- Registration for your surgery.
- Completion of a health questionnaire.
- Assessment of blood pressure, pulse and temperature.
- Health interview with a registered nurse.
- Meeting with an anesthesiologist.
- Blood and urine collection if indicated.
- EKG and chest X-ray, if indicated.
- Pre-operative teaching (including medications to take the morning of surgery, if indicated, and time of arrival for surgery day.)
If you have any questions regarding this appointment, please call the Pre-Anesthesia Clinic at 816-943-4899.
- Before surgery, if you do not have an appointment with the Pre-Anesthesia Clinic, you will receive a phone call by a registered nurse to discuss your health history, medications and any questions you may have. This phone call usually occurs one to two days prior to surgery.
- On the day of surgery, please bring your insurance card, co-pay/deductible and list of medications.
- Your family will be allowed to stay or visit with you prior to surgery.
- The staff will keep you as comfortable as possible before, during and after the procedure.
Do’s and Don’ts of Surgery:
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your surgery unless directed by a physician or nurse- this includes water, hard candy, chewing gum or mints.
- You may be instructed to take some medication with a small sip of water the morning of your surgery. Generally, these medications are for your heart, lungs, blood pressure or stomach. A nurse will call you one to two days before your surgery to review your medications with you. You may call 816-943-4899 and speak to a registered nurse if you have questions.
- Do not smoke 24 to 48 hours before your surgery.
- Wear your glasses instead of contact lenses.
- Leave all jewelry and valuables at home (please bring your insurance card and co-pay or deductible if this applies).
- If you are going home the day of surgery, you must have someone drive you home.
- Please bring your CpAp machine.